Thursday, May 3, 2018

WMHS Cardiac Health Unit: A Gem Within Our Community




Hidden within the walls of the Western Maryland Health System Regional Medical Center is a special team of highly trained professionals who love their jobs. This is our own Cardiac Health Unit. They have saved the lives of thousands of folks in our area and have been recognized as developing one of the best Cardiac Health programs in the country. In 2013, my family went through a scary time, but this group of tremendous people made it so much better. We very well could have lost my father. At the time he was working at North Branch Correctional Institution, which is known for causing its employees a vast array of medical problems due to the high stress work environment. Fortunately, my mother has been a nurse for over 30 years and pushed my father to get a stress test after he came home with chest pains one evening. It was that stress test that saved his life, well many people were involved in saving his life, the point to be explained here, is that it took a whole team of amazing people, not any one thing saved my father.
My father, brother, and myself were all hunting together shortly before the Christmas of 2012 when my father experienced some chest pains. At the time we didn’t think anything of it and neither did he. It wasn’t until it happened again that my mother picked up on the issue. My father came home from working second shift at the jail one evening after having had a rough night with a former coworker. He complained of chest pains and numbness in one arm, so my mother gave him baby aspirin and took his blood pressure. Not being satisfied with her findings, she called and scheduled a stress test for my father for 30th of January 2013. During this stress test, my father actually passed for his age and weight bracket, but it was his stubbornness that helped save his life. He asked them to go a few steps further than his bracket, to someone 20 years younger and in runner’s shape. After some convincing, they cranked him up and then they could see what had happened to him twice before, once in the woods and once at work. They then determined that they needed to do a catheterization, so that they could physically see the problem.
On February 8th, 2013 the same date many years prior that my father’s father had his heart attack at the very same age of 59 years, my father had his heart catheterization. They determined that stents would not be possible, and that triple bypass surgery would be needed. They gave him a few options; a drug regimen over the course of 6-8 months to see if any changes would occur or schedule him for the next available date for open heart surgery. Now, my father has never had any kind of major surgery, everything that he has experienced up to this point has been outpatient care, all done in the same day, with minimal recovery. So naturally he had lots of questions and concerns. He knew he had plenty of time saved up at work that he could go ahead and take the next surgery date, but the decision was still his.
        
         Fortunately for my father, my Uncle David had just had this surgery the year prior and was given a full briefing of the surgery before deciding when to go under the knife. David experienced chest pains for roughly six months but didn’t take it seriously. On Saturday the 27th of July 2012 around 5:30 PM he had the first of three mild heart attacks. By 8:45 PM he had a heart attack so severe that he agreed to go to the hospital via ambulance. During the ambulance ride he was given three doses of nitroglycerine spray and upon arrival at WMHS, he had a heart catheterization with an attempt to install stents. However, his left internal, main was blocked beyond 90% (“actually 96-97%”) so open-heart surgery was indefinite. The following morning at 7:00 AM “they wheeled me into the operating room and started” he said. “I don’t remember much until Sunday evening when they took the breathing tube out of my throat. Uncle David became patient number 3269 of the Cardiac Health Unit on that very day. He then spent the following six days in Cardiac Intensive Care Until he was released to go home on the 2nd of August 2012.
        
         After speaking with my uncle several times, and much deliberation from the whole family the date was set for my father to have open heart surgery on March 7th, 2013. Dad became patient number 3394 when he had three bypasses completed. The bypasses were to fix three different blockages, one at 50-60%, another at 50-60% with a narrow portion downstream at 70%, and an 80-90% blockage at the circumflex. He spent 5 days recovering in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, during which he walked as much as they would allow him. He said the whole process was “scary, but the care was excellent. I was treated very well.” My mother was with him as much as she could be, she’d stay every day until visiting hours were over and we would make her go home. She had seen her father go through open heart surgery twice, then helped her brother through it. “When it is your significant other it shakes the core of your world,” she exclaimed. “I felt a lot of disbelief, this can’t be happening. I worried about having a son about to graduate from high school. I came to realize [that day] that any plans we had for the future could just end abruptly, I made a decision to push my husband as hard as I could to make it through.” My mother, having worked in surgery now for around eight years and having been a nurse for 33 years at the time of dad’s surgery, she knows many things about the process that ordinary people would not know. I believe that they would not have been able to get my father or my uncle off the breathing machine without her. She is and always will be a nurse, with incredible patient care abilities. She has helped prep operating rooms for these surgeries and helped patients into and out of the operating room and into recovery. “I’ve been fortunate to watch Dr. Nelson and his team provide excellent care to many patients over the years.”
        
         Another person we are all fortunate to have in our lives is my brother’s fiancĂ© Leslie. Though she was not a physical part of my father or uncle’s heart surgeries, she has been a part of Dr. Nelson’s heart team for four years. In fact, he specifically asked her to join his team after hearing about her work ethic. She has been a Surgical Scrub Tech for 12 years now and she said she “had always wanted to be a part of the heart team, but the opportunity just wasn’t available.” Then, “when a fellow employee of the heart team decided to go back to nursing school full time they decided that they could no longer be a part of the team anymore. When they asked me if I would be interested, I jumped at the opportunity!” When asked how she liked the position Leslie exclaimed, “I absolutely love my job, the fact that I get to help people every day is a very rewarding and satisfying career. I love my job so much that I recently decided to go back to school and become nationally certified, because I was trained on the job when I first started.” When asked about the stresses involved with such an invasive job she said, “I do consider my job a very high stress job, I believe that [working in] the operating room in general is a high stress job. [In] the heart room we work on the sick, unhealthy, and probably [the] most scared people [to] have surgery. I mean imagine you are coming in to the hospital for a routine heart catheterization and they take you back to the room and start the procedure. All of a sudden, they say that you have had a heart attack, and need emergency CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting). This is why I love my job, we get people in the most vulnerable time in their life and make them well again.”
         I was able to get a hold of Dr. Nelson through Leslie for comment for this article. He is an extremely intelligent man who is passionate about what he does and the people that he has chosen to work with him. To date, he has done over 4000 heart cases at WMHS and 7000 heart surgery cases in his career “including my fellowship training.” That is a lot of people for one man and a small team of highly trained individuals to have people’s hearts literally in their hands. When asked if he enjoys what he does, Nelson stated, “in general I enjoy what I do, but not always. [We’re] working in an imperfect environment with expectations of perfection. [It’s] unrealistic and can lead to lack of enjoyment and frustration.” He also noted that, “the pre-operation and post operation periods can be complicated and prolonged, which can also lead to less than enjoyable working conditions.” So, the job isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, saving lives for a living. Which led me to ask him if he felt any level of heroism in his work, to which he said, “I wouldn’t say I feel heroism, that would suggest arrogance or lack of humility. Gratification that a patient has benefited from surgery is perhaps the proper perception [for me].” Clearly this man is very humble about his work, which is something that I personally like to see in people so talented at what they do for a living. My final question for Dr. Nelson was how he chooses who he has on his team. He then explained that “the organization of the heart team is a multistep proves [that] involves extensive training and of course a strong interest and work ethic.” Sounds to me like our dear Leslie is definitely in the right place and surrounded by good company.
         I feel that though the Western Maryland Health System does put a lot of pride and marketing into their Cardiac Health Unit, the individuals themselves do not get enough recognition. Something that genuinely bothers me is that people in this area still believe that we don’t have excellent healthcare here in our area. I hear folks say all the time, that they think they should just go to Morgantown, or Baltimore, or Pittsburgh for their care. Sure, those facilities provide excellent care and have wonderful trauma centers, but our own hospital has some truly amazing healthcare professionals operating within its walls every single day. These individuals have been a part of my life since my mother has been a Registered Nurse for 38 years as of last month. They have saved many members of my family including my Uncle and Father. I will stand behind our hospital and its care because of the amazing work that departments like the Cardiac Health Unit do over and over again. It is some truly amazing work done by some incredible people.

Relevant URLs:


Images:


My Father's Heart Pillow with the hand drawn diagram by Dr. Nelson








Dr. Nelson's Signature on every patient's Heart Pillow



No comments:

Post a Comment