Thursday, February 22, 2018

Danielle Smith, A Girl with Family Values who Values Family

Danielle Smith, A Girl with Family Values who Values Family
By: Malorie Wolfe, English 336
On the brink of graduation, twenty-two-year-old Danielle Smith is ready for the world with a smile. As her time being a college student comes to an end, she beams about being able to give advice as a fifth-year student who has been “down the hills” of Frostburg once or a hundred times. Asked about the most interesting thing to happen to her at Frostburg State, she said it would have to be becoming the person people go to for advice from class courses to relationship problems.  “I’d say I’m the wise elder, I like helping out people and being able to give advice to them.” When asked if she herself had any concerns about the future post-graduation she may need advice about, she shrugged with a smile and replied “Not really.” One thing Danielle said she has really gained from her life thus far, especially in her years as a college student, was her confidence. She said, “I’ve come to terms I’m a dorky, fun person. That is who I am and that is who I love being. I’m not afraid to be myself.” Her “Be who you are,” mantra was especially admiring, and another thing found to be admiring was the way she lit up when she began talking about her family. Though her hometown is a few hours away in Pasadena, Maryland, Danielle will often trip home to spend time with her family, something she holds dear to her heart. On her trips home, she can be found singing/dancing along with her music or using the alone time to plot future writing. If offered her dream job across the world, she would turn it down because it would mean not being around her family. Memories often looked back upon are her family dinners growing up and the shared teasing between her and her brother towards her mother. Danielle erupted in giggles and said “I can remember every time my mom saying ‘Someone hit the lights’ my brother would smack the light switch and say ‘I hit the light!’” College students often take time with their family for granted once they leave the nest and adjust to life on their own, but the magical thing that really does make Danielle a wise elder is she appreciates and values the time spent with her loved ones, and never takes one moment with them for granted.
https://tinybuddha.com/blog/10-tips-advise-wisely-how-to-give-advice-that-actually-helps/


No comments:

Post a Comment