Thursday, February 22, 2018

Mason’s 9 Month Break from College: for Better or for Worse? By Lisa Wray, ENGL 336


Mason on the back of his 5 year old 2008 Toyota Tacoma


     Arthur Mason Weatherholt is a junior transfer from Allegany College of Maryland who took an impromptu 9 month break this past summer and fall after three and a half years of being part of the multimedia program at Allegany, with a focus on photo, video, and audio production. “My initial reaction was ‘Oh my god, what have I done?’ I could’ve put in a really hard semester of work.” he said admittedly, but in hindsight Weatherholt said “I needed a break for me, not for anyone else.” It has become a national trend for college students to take breaks, or what researchers call a “gap year”, defined by the Gap Year Association as "An experiential semester or year…in order to deepen practical, professional, and personal awareness." Although Weatherholt’s time away from the classroom was limited to 9 months, not the typical twelve, he owns it. It’s all documented here

     Initially, he worked at Puccini, a pizzeria in east Cumberland, and was able to save enough money to buy new camera gear and a new computer. From there on out, Weatherholt was able to dedicate more time to his photography and get a level of experiential learning he never would have gotten in the classroom. Whether it be the first ever Allegany County Fairgrounds RallyCross debut or a Sunday road trip with some old friends, Weatherholt had his Nikon D3200 in hand. “I like candid photos…I do it for the experience, not money. If someone gets a cool photo that makes them smile, I’m all for it.” Alexandra, Weatherholt’s girlfriend says, “If I had to describe Mason in one word, it would be adventurous.” When he wasn’t busy photographing someone else’s tuck, Weatherholt was taking pictures of his 2008 Toyota Tacoma which he has owned for over five years. Only those who have driven with him will know of his collection of Velcro patches that line to roof of his truck. The collection currently stands at 134 patches with an all-time favorite being a “…sunflower that my girlfriend gave me in November…” Weatherholt says with a smile. So far Weatherholt likes Frostburg State University and said “At first [the break] was a bad thing, [but] I’m happy where I’m at.” He concludes.


No comments:

Post a Comment