Sunday, September 18, 2016

                                 The Many Talents at the 11th Annual Appalachian Festival. 
Appalachian Festival Book

The Appalachian Festival returned to Frostburg State University this fall and it brought out a lot of the community. There was all joys and smiles when performers preformed their songs, and dances and everyone seemed to be happy. I found that most of the participants in this festival were locals and one actually turned out to be my physics teacher from sophomore year. This was actually my first time attending the festival and I have to say, it was as I expected. It was small and homie, there were animals and even some Frostburg alumni. 

The first performers that I saw were Sam and Joe Herrmann. They are the founding members of the Critton Hollow String Band. The Herrmann couple have brought music classics to various countries like Ireland. Scotland, Canada, and of course the U.S. There songs will either make you laugh or cry or maybe do both. From what i seen it was all laughter with those two. They did preform a song that was funny but it did have a sad background. The couple preformed "Old Rick" which was sad but funny and "Waterbound". Their performance began at 1;00 pm and it brought out many fans seen below. 
Herrmann Couple

I also spotted a photographer by the name of George Small. He has his own photography place in La Vale, MD and he specializes in taking pictures of butterflies. He had numerous amount of butterfly pictures, going back to when they were larvae; building back up to their caterpillar then butterfly stage. I asked Small what he thought about the festival and he had this to say " It's not like a festival in a big city, its more of a home festival. Iv'e been here for 8 years and all my pictures are photographed." Some of Small's work has also made it to a museum. 

Lastly I closely payed attention to Frostburg Alumni Ken Metz. He graduated in 1964. Metz told me that he Majored in Biology we he attended Frostburg and that he went own to teach the subject for 35 years and is now retired.  I asked Metz on what he had thought about the Festival and he had this to say " Its fun.. so pleasing to see so many smiles among patrons and customers." Metz also wrote a book called "Founding Father" in which he released Christmas 2012, so that his kids can read it around that time. He gave a shout out to Kara Robert Thomas for helping him out so much for the past 3 years.
George Small

In my Honest opinion I think that the Appalachian Festival is good for not only Frostburg State but the town of Frostburg because there isn't much to do here. It brings out the community and people out of their homes to fellowship. For all we know is that this is the only opportunity for someone in this area to do something they can call "fun". I may have not been my best interest but i'm glad on what Frostburg State did these past few days.







Ken Metz

No comments:

Post a Comment