Saturday, September 19, 2015

Did Old MacDonald Actually Have a Factory Farm?


I had a chance to witness Skott Brill (Professor Brill) presentation titled
“Old MacDonald Had a Factory Farm, E-E-E-I-OMG!” at this year’s Appalachian Festival. In his presentation Professor Brill was trying to get his audience of about 60 people aware of what big food corporations are really doing to prepare the foods we eat behind the scenes. Professor Brill made it clear that traditional family farms are dying around the United State and most if not all of our foods are coming from factory farms. At these factory farms animals are placed in brutal conditions and are being forced to lay eggs amongst other harsh treatments.

I spoke to a few audience members asking them about their thoughts on the presentation and what was their overall take away from Professor Brill presentation. 

“I felt like the presentation was phenomenal. The presenter went in depth letting us know that these big time corporations are killing small family farms like the ones in western Maryland. These corporations are lying on their libels saying that the chicken or whatever they are selling are from small farms when in reality their chickens are coming from huge factories that have millions of other mistreated chickens. I really did like the presentation. I loved when he brought out his little daughter to sing ‘Old MacDonald Had a Farm'. It was just a great presentation. I can't wait for tomorrow." - Audience Member 1


The second person in attendance that I interviewed also enjoyed Professor Brill presentation. “I thought the presentation was really good. I liked that [Professor Brill] included his daughter [Sophia] in the presentation. That was really cute. I expected pretty much what I saw through out the presentation [and prior to the event] I knew nothing about Skott Brill before coming to the presentation.” – Audience Member 2

As far as what this audience member took away from the “Old MacDonald Had a Factory Farm, E-E-E-I-OMG!” presentation was that “Big food corporations lie to [the public] about what [they are] eating and they try to make [the public] think it is coming from cute small family farms when really its coming from big factories that are mistreating their animals.”

The third audience member that was interviewed felt like more could have came out of the presentation. “I thought it was ok, nothing really special. I already knew most of the stuff he was saying about factory farms. I know that our food is coming from bad places because of how these animals are treated but bottom line is that is just how things are now a days and no body really have the patients to deal with small family farms. A lot of people want to eat and small farms are not going to provide enough food. [The presentation] was not what I expected I honestly thought I was going to get more information. I wanted to here more about how small family farms can still be productive in our society right now.” 

The presentation was very informing and overall the audience looked like they had a good time with lots of applause and laughter through out the evening. 

Backbone Food Farm: http://www.backbonefarm.com/
H. Skott Brill: H. Skott Brill FSU profile  

No comments:

Post a Comment