Thursday, September 21, 2017

Spradlin, Kevin Student Veteran


Spradlin, Kevin Student Veteran 
By Deborah Aiyegbusi, ENGL 336



38- year old student veteran Kevin Spradlin served in the U.S Army for 4 plus years as a paralegal working in criminal law. Kevin is now a full time student at Frostburg State University studying law and society with a focus in criminal justice, and a minor in sociology. After graduating this fall, Kevin plans on working with student veterans in a higher education.
 However, this semester Kevin is taking a journalism class that he believes will help him “learn from professor Duncan and the students, this class in particular is more on the interaction of how he mentors and teaches young men and women from all walks of life in a setting that I am familiar with, a news room, which I could then take the good points and bad points and learn what to do then translate that to my new career working with student veterans on a campus”
Although, Kevin has plenty of experience in criminal law and is working towards a degree in law and society journalism seems to be a strong passion. Kevin mentions that “in order to get a job in higher education you must have some type higher education yourself, so that’s what the degree is for” In fact Kevin has been a journalist for 20 years in several states.
Kevin’s interest for journalism and politics began “ at the age of 15 I had a lack of desire to work at McDonalds so I applied for a local news paper in Hagerstown Maryland, and they were about to hire me but they could not hire me yet because of my age, but at the age of 17 I began delivering papers I did that for nine years, and I was pretty proud of myself for carrying that days headlines seven days a week to the people in my neighborhood”

Kevin’s experiences working as a journalist shaped his interest of politics and current events, which then led him into his law and society track. Even though Kevin does not plan on pursuing a job in law those interest have prepared him for his desired job of one day working with student veterans on a college campus.

1 comment:

  1. A point of clarification: I began delivering newspapers at the age of 7, and did that for nine years, until 16. I then began working part-time for a newspaper at 16, in the sports department.

    ReplyDelete